Sunday, October 12, 2008

hurrah - art and soul - portland



here is a little... or not so little... snapshot of my art and soul - portland - wandering.


gatherings with nina bagley... i came to this class with a bit of a plan... and a rotten cold... i had told myself that i was going to sit put and finish a hurrah... i suppose having the cold assisted me as i just wasn't so up to visiting and didn't want to share my yuck. this class called for one big book that would then house our smaller book pages... i contact nina to ask if i could use this paint box i had found as my "big book"... the paint box gave me the idea of creating a gathering of my art retreat experiences... so the book attached to the paint box has blank boards to place future memories on... i created two books i tucked inside - a book to remember my three day class with misty mawn and one for my art and soul hampton retreat... i think it will be fun to create a new "page" with each retreat...
paint box with book cover. leslie and dede both have wonderful pictures on their blogs so be sure to take a peek... i met leslie through her wonderful blog... and then met dede through leslie at the hampton retreat... great new memories with these girls... can't wait to meet up again!
then i gathered memories from art and soul hampton into a book - classes with sally jean, sheri haab, dan essing & stephanie lee




this picture of nina is just perfect... you can see how much fun she is... great lady... yes she is...
step into the story... jewelry... two days with nina... and nina knots... wire wrapping... hook making... stories... laughter... and lots of smiles... multiple days with one teacher is wonderful... and three days with nina... well... i can only hope it happens again...
my table mate loni (above)... created amazing necklaces... yeah that is plural... two completely finished... hip hip hurrah loni! a new friend... she and her family have a dairy and produce milk for tillamook cheese... how cool is that
miss denise... creates amazing work with all her wonderful finds in addition to the beautiful pmc art she does... check out her blog... something wonderful is just around the bend for her... you can just feel it...


so here is my hip hip hurrah.... i found this match holder just before i went to portland.... it worked out just as i had hoped... the image is the same "beach" picture i have used before... it's calm and reassuring to me... my wanderings these past seven months have taken me down many paths... have given me endless resources and have gifted me with new friendships...

all of this has spoken to me... and now i plan to sit awhile with it and listen...


this community of art is home... i feel comfort - support and enthusiasm. again... creative bliss is surrounding yourself with artful folks...



saturday and sunday were left open to explore portland
good friends
good food
great days!


lk ludwig and a nature journal


i could not list everything i learned in this class... completely fun... free... finished! although you could just keep adding to it... and she is as sweet as can be... and giving in every way...
i did go back to my room and continue to play
pages & pages of fun... i look forward to another class with her someday...
miss kecia... in just in case...
just in case with judy wikenfeld... judy's work is over the top... the heart and thought she puts into each page is beyond inspiring... take a peek here at her work... lots to learn in this two day class and i appreciated here teaching style... amble time to explore each technique... but she kept things moving and gave us heads up tips so that we could avoid mishaps... i was really pleased with my outcome.... i was able to finish the book structure and one page... it will house up to 8 full pages.

the construction of the book is very sturdy... it feels so good in your hands
my first page is of my mom and her cousin... there were many happy surprises as i worked on this page... hidden meaning in elements that would appear seemingly out of nowhere... i'm going to take my time on this... as i hope it will be around for a long time.

-

judy and i... mind you... this was day 8 for me... so yeah...
listen
i plan to.


hurrah... art and soul - portland... you were fabulous!


i'll be back to share pictures of friends and finds.... see you soon







12 comments:

dede warren said...

I have been thinking about you all week! I love all the work you did in Portland, everything is amazing and I especially love that you finished your book with Judy. The page of your Mom is perfect! I am sure Judy was thrilled with the strap you used as your closure, it really makes the book special!

I'm so glad we could spend time together Keli, you are the perfect roomie. Thanks, thanks, thanks for everything. I will see you in Montana, you name the date, and I'll be there...

Take care sweet friend.

Lost Aussie said...

Great photos and a wonderful post about your time at AnS.
take care
Marie

Leslie said...

Sitting right next to me on my desk is a little brown and turquoise tin filled with wire nests and wrapped beads and lots of great memories of our wonderful week together in Portland. I wish we lived closer. I would love to listen with you, sweet friend.

xo

Leslie said...

I forgot to tell you how much I love all of your work. I came back to look again tonight and noticed that.
I love the work I saw in person, and I LOVE your velvet album. That leather piece looks so perfect there! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

xo

Blaiz said...

Hi Keli, it was great meeting you in Portland!

Your work is beautiful!

paisleydragonfly said...

Keli, it was so great to see you here in Portland. I hope you've recovered from your cold. Your artwork turned out so lovely! You are most talented. I look forward to seeing you again soon. We'll have to meet up at Farm Chicks. I also heard there are some really great antique stores in Coeur d'Alene. I'll have to make a weekend of it! I've been buying like crazy in preparation for my new venture! Stay tuned!

Denise

Judy Wise said...

What a beautiful blog and what a great summing up of your experiences at Art and Soul. Your pieces are gorgeous and you are making me want to take classes with these teachers now. I want cool stuff too! hee hee

Laurel said...

Hi Keli!
Thanks for stopping by my blog, and it was so great to meet you and share a class with you at A&S! Your necklaces are all so cool; I loved the one with the little silver salt shaker focal, and the one you make in class is exceptional. I wondered what that piece was - a match holder! how cool is that?
Laurel
www.laurelsteven.blogspot.com

Judy said...

AHHHHHH Keli
What a great time i had with you - such a lovely montoneeeeee you are. Thanks for honouring me with your presence in my class - it was so great to spend time with you. loved loved loved your book - you are one talented lady. hope to see you soon. thanks for my divine pressie - it was so so nice and generous of you.
xox
judy

Sandra Evertson said...

Wow, gorgeous works!
Sandra

dede warren said...

Hey miss,

Don't hate me for including you... but you've been tagged! Go take a peek at my blog for official rules. Come on be a sport, and play along. Besides you're due for a blog post!

Deirdra Doan said...

Hi Keli,
I LOVE LOVE your art sea charm,I have been wearing it almost every day!!
Thank you so much!

Your blog is beautiful and your photo's of Art and Soul are GREAT. I see so many friends, Mija, Nina and Shirley.

Your photo and your work in Nina's class is so lovely.

Fall Blessings,
Deirdra
PS come see my blog and my Christmas Video and Song I wrote. It is kinda like doing mix media but in video...I have been enjoying Misty and Stephanie youtubes. If you haven't seen them check my http://www.youtube.com/user/Deirdradoan for links.