Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Before & After... My Hometown Art Retreat

Before... they came I daydreamed about all we would do... and now in the after... I daydream of a time when we can do it all again... Leslie & Dede... how do you describe a new friendship that has shifted everything that came before and gives to great plans for the after?

We drank... ate... and made art... lots of it!

We rolled - wrapped - and bundled
to make the fabric bits hanging on the rack above

looked good in the pot and the results were amazing... now we are set with bits to create a "cloth"... something we all want to try

The week gave way to finding such goodness
We tried to list all the things we did... hand dyed fabric, twisted wire and bead into a necklace, etched metal, made a "teesha" book, painted - scraped - and such page after page, image transfers, embossed metal, stitched wool applique pin cushions, took photos and had photoshop 101. We slept... walked... shopped... we took in farmers market & peoples market... my favorite bead, yarn and fabric shop...the sweet palace in Philipsburg and spent 15 mins in front of the fire... we found lots of treasures and treats along the way....
Sean Kochel... being one of the treasures
We stopped into Sean's booth at the people's market... and all of us were drawn in at the sight of tin types... wet plate photography... done today... by Sean

"Do you teach?" - Sean "I've been thinking about it" - "Yay! how about to us... this week?"

He is amazing! Such a great teacher... so passionate about the history and so willing to share. We are all going to do whatever we can to help him find his way to a teaching venue... and then you should do all you can to get in his class!

I soaked it up... all of it

these next two photos would be symbolic of me... before and after
thanks to Leslie's PS 101... and a work over of my camera my pictures are looking better
thanks to a week with Leslie and Dede... My view of things is much better too!
My Before

My After

The studio will up there... waiting for you all to arrive
Indeed

9 comments:

Jill said...

I can't even imagine such a delightful week! So neat that you've found each other!

Thespa McLaughlin said...

Oh to learn how to do that type of photography would be a dream! How lucky you are to have found a teacher! Awesome experience thanks for sharing!

Dede Warren said...

Keli what a perfect post! I can't thank you enough for having us with you, and having so many wonderful things for us to play and create with!
Next trip; think California in the winter... this time minus the tornado warning!
xoDede

Leslie said...

This is all beautiful Keli! Your thistle photos are amazing! i am loving that spectacular bokeh!

What a wonderful time we had. I'm already trying to figure out how to get back to Montana. It was magical. We did so many awesome things. Thank you for sharing your beautiful life and self with us!

And of course, Sean is the bomb. We will be doing class with him again.

xo

wildaltarose said...

I can't begin to tell you how inspiring this was to me. How lucky that you were able to find like minded friends. Hopefully one day I will be able to join you on one of your adventures.

Bonnie in Lethbridge

Karen Cole said...

Love these kind of get togethers! There is nothing like it. How lucky you all are to have found each other.

kecia deveney said...

sounds like such great fun keli and exactly what you needed. call me sometime! the impromptu photography class is just up my alley!

xoxo,

kecia

rivergardenstudio said...

What a wonderful time filled with art and color. I am so glad to find your blog via Leslie, and I love your images, especially all the corners of your studio! roxanne

Seth said...

Looks like you all must have had the best time. Great photos of a great event!